Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Design Fun

After working on something semi corporate for a few weeks, I get an itch to design something that speaks more to who I am, as a person and as a designer.
The photograph behind this triptych is a shot of the Atlantic off the coast of Maine during a storm in October. We were standing at Two Lights, the wind blowing so hard and the rain coming down at a steep angle.
Designing something that speaks to me brings me back down to my core, where I find safety, quiet and rest.
Maine is lucky to have one of the most talented communities of designers in the whole world. But with that comes a competitive environment full of designers trying to "make it" and succeed, however you want to define success.
Recently, success to me hasn't been about my list of clients, or the checks being written to me. It's been more about how I feel about the work I'm creating. Sometimes the work I do doesn't speak to me on a personal level, it's more about meeting a client's need. The work that I connect with, the designs I create on my own time, for me, for fun, are where I feel most successful. That's a good place to be.

To see more of my work, visit my website at www.theportlanddesigner.com